Thursday, October 23, 2003

This past Tuesday was the Five Iron Frenzy concert. I ended up going with my brother. He was not as bad as I thought he would be. My dad ended up driving us over and dropping us off because apparently I am incapable of driving, being only 18 years old. While we were at the concert he went to the dollar movies and saw Finding Nemo.
Out of all the concerts I have been to ( No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, 311, Ben Folds, Barry Manilow) this concert would have to be the best I’ve seen by far. It was barrels of circus monkey fun. This is what happened:

(For each band that played, I will give an asterisk for the attractiveness of the lead singer. The more asterisks, the hotter the guy.)

First off, the promoter guy at the place came out and asked us not to mosh. Then he talked about God and how we need to take time out of each day and find a moment to thank God, because this is what sets us apart from the non-believers. Then we prayed. It was all kinds of cool. Then he introduced the first act….

Cameron James
********
This was just one guy and a guitar. And he was hot. Think of a more talented, way more attractive, non-asshole John Mayer with a way better voice. He only played three songs that were pretty short but they were really good. I regret now not buying one of his LP’s that were being sold there. Stupid.

Bleach
****
I really liked these guys. This was a full-blown band and the lead singer looked like a cross between Ben Folds and Rivers from Weezer. They were good, though none of their 5 songs were really spectacular.

Holland
½ *
I didn’t like these guys. The lead singer pretty much just screamed the whole time, flinging the microphone around by the wire and hitting himself in the process. Was really cheesy. I guess I was the only one who thought so because at this point the crowd started getting rowdy, a little jumping and pushing and screaming.

Five Iron Frenzy
At first ******, but by the middle ************* I have always heard the self confidence makes someone more attractive than what they actually are but this is the first time I saw it myself. He had the most piercing blue eyes that I could see from the audience. That = hot.

By the time FIF took the stage I had positioned myself pretty much center second row. But the first 15 seconds of the first song, 3 guys basically grabbed me and pushed me back. I was left about 6 rows back in back of some tall guys and I couldn’t see anything. About two songs later I grabbed Marshall and employed something called Fat Girl Elbows and Hips and regained my rightful place. Reese, the lead singer, was just about the most animated person I’ve ever seen on stage, jumping and dancing all over the place. The band was really funny and made fun of each other the whole time, especially Reese, Micah, Keith and Dennis. I practically didn’t notice the other band members. Behind the band they had a screen which they projected film of polka dancing, people falling and Godzilla. At one point it was random people with mullets during Phantom Mullet. They played a lot of songs, some of which are listed here: My Evil Plan, One Girl Army, Dandelions, Handbook for the Sellout, Blue Comb ’78, World Without an End, Pre-Exgirlfriend, Phantom Mullet, Where Zero Meets Fifteen, You Can’t Handle This, Pootermobile, Mayonnaise Taco Monday, Abraham Lincoln Beard, Oh Canada, Every New Day.
The second to last song was World Without an End, which on the cd fades at the end with the band all singing the chorus all pretty, so after the song was over the audience sang it about 5 times, and I believe that Reese started crying. Every New Day was the last song. Reese, still emotional, introduced the song talking about how God is the only person who can make every day worth living and then Reese led us in prayer. And then they played it and I cried. A lot. And then they walked off the stage. Sniff. I managed to grab the cap off of Reese’s water bottle and a sharpie that fell out of Micah’s pocket. Am not crazy fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home